Monday, February 6, 2017

Race Recap - Chocolate Rush Half Marathon 2.4.2017

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 I was the 2:45 pacer for the Chocolate Rush half marathon in Olathe, KS. It was a cold day, 25* but felt more like 18*. It was gray and overcast and the sun was hiding. I had on four tops, two pairs of tights, gloves, and a hat. And that wasn't enough. The wind was bitter and biting, so back to the car I went to dig around and see what else I could find to put on. I ended up with a pink puffy vest, a warm head band, and a neck buff.

We lined up about 7:50am for the 8am start time. I ran into a few people I know in the running community, and several pacers that would also be out in the cold, guiding folks to finish the race.

Ready to go at the start line

SmartPacing team


The race started out well. I had a few folks with me, but after a couple miles they found their stride and pulled ahead of me. I came into a couple of ladies and ran with them for a mile or so. But they hadn't trained as well as they had hoped, and were unable to keep up with me. So on I went. I ran for the most part alone, lost in my head, and enjoying the beautiful Indian Creek Trail system that the race was on. I encouraged each racer I came in contact with, and said "Good morning" to several folks who were just out for their normal Saturday long run on the trails.

I did manage to get in a jump towards the end of the race, around the 11.5 mile mark.
Race Jumpin'

I finished the race right on pace at 2:44:26. I headed inside for some yummy chocolate fondue and fixings, and enjoyed chatted with a few other pacers, comparing our race experiences, talking about upcoming races, and just life in general.

Oh, and I took home this beauty, so yeah me. I think it is a fun medal, and I'm happy to add it to my collection.
Medal Monday

Lifetime half marathon number 53 is in the books.

Let's Connect!
Instagram - @Running_with_Hart   I post here most often!!




No comments:

Post a Comment